Re: Proposal to add Orca to GNOME 2.16

Willie Walker wrote:
[snip]

3. The current gap of the Configuration GUI is an issue.  Orca
configuration currently is done via a command line setup script,
although Orca has also been designed to run w/o requiring setup.  Post
setup configuration is managed by hand editing a settings module.  We
realize the 1990's clunkiness of this, and we definitely plan resolve
this with a real GUI.  The main issue is getting the manpower and we
welcome help from the community to do it in a timely manner.  I still
need to point out the irony of requiring a screen reader to configure
your screen reader.  ;-)  I propose that we recognize that the
Configuration GUI is a much needed thing, but we realize that the users
have other accessible options for configuring Orca.  As such, the lack
of the GUI is a very small notch below show stopper status for GNOME
2.16, and is a must have for GNOME 2.18.

While the GUI aspect may not make sense for the target audience, it
makes sense for developers and other users who may support the
interface.

I also would love to see the documentation in the accessibility guide
updated with instructions on how to use Orca.  This document lives in
gnome CVS as gnome-user-docs.  Discussion takes place on gnome-doc-list.

--
Brent Smith <gnome nextreality net>
IRC: smitten