Re: Proposal for Alacarte in 2.16

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Travis Watkins wrote:

> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:51:44 -0500
> From: Travis Watkins <alleykat gmail com>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org, release-team gnome org
> Subject: Proposal for Alacarte in 2.16
>
> Alacarte[1] is a menu editor that makes it easy to completely
> customize your Applications and Desktop menus.

(It was formerly called SMEG)

> Alacarte is written in Python and depends on pygtk 2.8 and gnome-menus
> 2.14 (with patch[2]).
>
> Ubuntu replaces gmenu-simple-editor with alacarte for the "Edit Menus"
> functionality and I believe it's included in Fedora Extras and Gentoo.

Alacarte has a user interface halfway between a dialog and an application.
I'd be a lot happier if it used a top toolbar instead a row of buttons at
the bottom.  I don't think there is anything specific in the HIG to backup
my point here.  Hadn't decided to file a request against Alacarte or not
yet but I have been looking at Ubuntu Dappper I was thinking about it.

--
Alan H.