Big Changes & Feature Freeze [Was: Tango and 2.16]

<quote who="Rodney Dawes">

> The Tango theme is not replacing GNOME icon theme, but the icons in
> gnome-icon-theme are being updated with their style, and being moved to
> follow the naming spec. I tried to get this done for 2.14 even, and did it
> at what I thought was a reasonable time in the cycle (feature freeze), but
> it proved to be much more work than could be done then.

I just want to comment on this publically so no one else is confused: We
have a feature freeze to denote when large chunks of development work need
to be roughly complete, *not* to denote when large chunks of development
work land or even worse, begin.

Ideally, large changes would be planned during the six months prior to the
release, and implemented within weeks of the fresh release opening [1].

Has a g-i-t 2.15 tarball already shipped with the new naming scheme? Has a
mail been sent to devel-announce-list to warn developers that they need to
test their themed icons? ("'puter says no!" [2]) We're already a month into
the new release cycle, so this needs to happen very soon. (Perhaps a bit of
comfort and buy-in needs to be established throughout the project too...)

- Jeff

[1] That's right, a six month release cycle doesn't have to preclude forward
    planning!

[2] Little Britain.

--
FISL 7.0: Porto Alegre, Brazil        http://fisl.softwarelivre.org/7.0/www/

       "Microsoft treats security vulnerabilities as public relations
                        problems." - Bruce Schneier