Re: Solution for OEMs/Gnome

I'd just like to say that Shaun's description is right on the mark. I couldn't have summarized the state of Gconf and Sabayon so well.

Best,
Daniel.

Shaun McCance wrote:
I see that you've already found Sabayon to be a good
solution, but just for information's sake:

Using gconf-editor is a reasonably good way to create
default and mandatory settings for simple configuration
options.  For example, if you want to set whether the
trash icon is visible on users' desktops, you would
open the Defaults window and toggle the checkbox for
/apps/nautilus/desktop/trash_icon_visible.

So everybody around here gets really proud of how easy
this is, and they run around screaming about how easy
it is to set defaults for everything with GConf.  The
problem is that the panel uses a fairly complex layout
of dynamically-created keys and directories of keys.

gconf-editor will allow you to create new keys, but it
can't create new directories of keys.  (Not because of
any technical limitation; it's really just a design
oversight. [1])  So gconf-editor just isn't powerful
enough.  Even if it were, figuring out the panel's
complex dynamic key layout to make the changes isn't
a trivial task.

For things like the panel layout, mucking around with
the actual keys just isn't going to be fun, whether
you use gconf-editor, gconftool-2, or emacs.  In this
particular case, the keys themselves are too confusing
for mortals.  And that's why Sabayon is so great: you
get to set the default settings the same way you'd set
up your own desktop.

----
[1] Technically directories don't really exist.  The
key paths are more like namespaces, so it just doesn't
make sense in GConf to have "directories" without keys.
But that shouldn't stop gconf-editor from being able to
create new keys with new paths/namespaces.

--
Shaun