Re: Solution for OEMs/Gnome

Chipzz wrote:
For .gconf you should prefer root's gconf database (but I still see a
problem, that such customization is overwritten by a subsequent packages
update, at least with the default gconf path).

It should be pointed out that for debian (and I think also ubuntu, which
is what he is using) this is simply not true. The gnome defaults are
shipped in /usr, not in /etc, and gconf actually uses multiple databases
on debian which allows you to do exactly that: make your own changes
without them being overwritten on subsequent upgrades.

Thanks.

Once again, unless someone has written a document describing how to change the Gconf database (and perhaps something about how that database works) this is all of little use to me.

* Please don't tell me "edit the .schema file" (which one? how? those things are incomprehensible - yes, I know XML).

* Please don't tell me "do it wit gconf-editor" (gconf-editor does *not* have any way of adding a stupid icon to the panel).

* Please don't tell me "copy the config files from xyz" (what use is that if I can't edit the config files in the first place?)

Daniel.
--
     /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org
    /\/_/