Re: System-wide settings for the panel?

Vincent Untz wrote:
I would be very grateful if someone could tell me how I can change the
Gnome global panel settings (in particular, add/remove icons and menu
entries) so that any new users get the settings I pick.

Assuming you're using Ubuntu, you need to modify
/usr/share/gconf/schemas/panel-default-setup-laptop.entries
(or /usr/share/gconf/schemas/panel-default-setup.entries if it's not
a laptop).

The content of the file is like a gconf dump (see "gconftool-2 --dump
/apps/panel", for example). So you could modify an account, dump
the configuration and copy the interesting part in the .entries file.

Oh, that's neat.

I don't know which parts are interesting, so could I just do this:

gconftool-2 --dump /apps/panel > /usr/share/gconf/schemas/panel-default-setup.entries

Btw, yes I'm on Ubuntu. A cursory look at the output of the --dump and the panel-default-setup file suggests that the above line would do what I want.

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--