Re: [gpm] Re: Gnome 2.16 Module Proposal: GNOME Power Manager

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
since there is already a daemon (HAL and underlying power save software,
like pmu, powersave, etc), why do we need another daemon? I think the
current g-p-m architecture, with the 'daemon' being also the
notification icon makes a lot of sense. If adding the tray icon on
startup is wrong, then I guess we can easily delay the addition of the
icon, like we do with the typing break, for instance.

I'd point out that (as mentioned on my blog) using `daemons' that are tasked with putting an icon in the panel cause extra memory usage. On my laptop, this is responsible for 3MB of private, dirty rss. My laptop is *plugged in* and it is using this.

The task of `display an icon on the panel when battery is being used' should not require this amount of memory.

-- Ben