Supporting po/LINGUAS in 2.16

It has just come to my attention that one of the GNOME Goals is to port
GNOME to using the po/LINGUAS file for 2.16, rather than having the
LINGUAS listed directly in configure.{in,ac}.

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/PoLinguas is the link for the page
which describes the process for doing this. However, it is describing
the wrong way to fix this, and contains incorrect information about
the dependency on intltool 0.34.2.

If we really want to do this, let's do it right and not with a hacky
workaround because people are afraid to depend on newer versions of
things for some reason.

You don't need to switch to AM_GNU_GETTEXT to use it, and doing so,
will not automatically make it work with intltool. Intltool still needs
the proper support added to it. It will be very good to actually get
that support in a release, and get all the modules migrated over, but
we should take the proper path, rather than a hacked up job to just
merge them back in to configure.{in,ac} and then make autoconf depend
on the po/LINGUAS file.

On another note, can we please discuss major changes such as this, on
this list, before deciding on making them goals that people should be
working on? I've noticed on the wiki, that several maintainers have
already committed the hackily annoying patches. Putting this hack in
now, means we're just going to have to look at the problem again, when
we want to add proper support for po/LINGUAS. Let's just get things
fixed up right, and add proper support now, if that's what we want to
do.

-- dobey