Re: Notification icons hell (was Re: [gpm] Re: Gnome 2.16 Module Proposal: GNOME Power Manager)

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 17:35 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 12:21:58PM -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
>
> > We should make it smart and allow expansion, and hide inactive and low
> > priority icons, like on Windows.
>
> If we can hide icons without losing important information, why are we
> showing them in the first place?

This is not the correct question to the problem. *WE* aren't showing
them. However, *WE* also don't control all the win32 apps that one can
run, that puts an icon in the tray, or other apps which are not part of
GNOME itself, and need to show an icon on all desktops for some reason.

Also, it's quite annoying to have icons appearing and disappearing
constantly, because something happened, and then 3 seconds later the
icon is gone. And doing so, shuffles the icons around, making the ones
the user does care about, moving targets in some cases.

-- dobey