Re: [gpm] Re: Gnome 2.16 Module Proposal: GNOME Power Manager

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 11:59 +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 01:28, Corey Burger wrote:

> > > Hmm. In this configuration, it is.
> >
> > The problem with hiding in this case is that the user must know that
> > when they are plugged in and fully charged, the icon will vanish,
> > rather than just looking and seeing that they are fully charged and
> > plugged in. Ouch.
>
> Well, if once the battery reaches 100%, a short-lived notification
> bubble says so then the icon can disappear without harm. No need to
> pollute the notification area with a "battery is full" icon, OTOH on the
> road the fuel gauge is important.
>
> IMHO the best design is found in PocketPC2003: the battery icon starts
> to appear only when it's half-empty.

While this debate about people's battery status preferences is extremely
interesting and intellectually challenging I think its on a level of
nitpickery that belongs on either some HIG related list or in bugzilla.

The actual question at hand is, Is GPM ready to go into GNOME 2.16?
That is a yes or no question, it is not a request for people to pipe up
with marginal feature request of the day or state their vision for
notification/applets in GNOME. If people want to design and code a new
way for doing notification applets please do so and it will probably
have a good chance to go in, but if you are only interested in sharing
your feelings with the world on battery notification or applets in
general please do so somewhere else. This is the desktop-devel list, not
the desktop-feelings list.

Personally my answer to the is GPM ready question is yes. A big thanks
Richard for his work on GPM.

Christian