Re: Moving to bonjour over howl

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 01:14 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Vincent Untz">
>
> > > It would be very nice to use the same implementation as KDE, otherwise
> > > you end up with two implementation of Zeroconf on your system :(
> >
> > So, it seems some people want to use howl, some prefer bonjour and some
> > other ones want avahi. Sounds like we'll need an abstraction to make
> > everyone happy...
>
> No, let's not go down the abstraction path [1] when this is a very simple,
> straightforward policy decision. It's APSL2 and code that is out of the
> community's control versus sane licensing and the delightful Avahi project.
>
> - Jeff

It isn't that straight-forward. Only one mDNS responder daemon can be
launched at a time, and the different implementations can't talk to each
other. Avahi talks only to avahi, howl only talks to howl, bonjour only
talks to bonjour (although I'm not 100% sure the 2 latter can't talk to
each other).

If you want to run gnome-vfs' dns-sd on MacOS X, you can only do that if
Bonjour is used.

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
I had to tell the guy, 'Dude, chill out, 'cause you're really gonna pop
it!' -- Carmen Electra