Re: Moving to bonjour over howl

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 03:50:55PM +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> >> Is there any reasons to prefer Apple's Bonjour over Howl? The license
> >> problems are the same in both implementations, and we can at least have
> >> some influence on Howl. See how well Apple works with the KDE community.
> >> Not really encouraging.
> >
> > I thought the plan was to use Avahi.

Avahi is going to end up much better for us. It integrates with our
main loop; talks via D-BUS; has bindings in C# and Python (and
probably other stuff); is LGPL (all of it); and all in all looks
superior to any existing technology we are using (have a look at the
existing DNS-SD code in GNOME-VFS).

> > It would be very nice to use the same implementation as KDE, otherwise
> > you end up with two implementation of Zeroconf on your system :(
>
> So, it seems some people want to use howl, some prefer bonjour and
> some other ones want avahi. Sounds like we'll need an abstraction
> to make everyone happy...

GServiceBrowser:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/davyd/152749.html

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA