Re: Announcing: Project Ridley

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 12:02:46PM -0400, JP Rosevear wrote:

> Its a fine line, but I can't see how network connections don't fit in as
> an acceptable low level operation when we have the following in glib:
>
> 1) lexical scanner
> 2) xml subset parser
> 3) IO Channels
>
> Even if not in glib we should be creating an official solution that
> hooks nicely in to the mainloop rather than neon/curl/soup.

While adding network libraries to GLib/GNetwork, I feel that
integrated, high-level service discovery and publishing objects, ala
GServiceDiscovery and $OBJECTNOTYETWRITTEN are good candidates for
the stack.

While they are currently dependant on Avahi, the idea is to prevent
them from unnessecarily exposing Avahi implementation details so
that they could be use opaquely with other mDNS/DNS-SD
implementations (eg. Apple's).

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA