Re: Proposal for inclusion in Desktop: GNOME Power Manager

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 02:41 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> Actually, I'm quite tempted to agree. The notification applet doesn't
> really provide any functionality that isn't already present in battstat.

The thing I have noticed is the reporting of other batteries, such as
Logitech mice. I'm not entirely sure how useful this is displayed on the
desktop. Perhaps G-P-M should have a dialog showing the current
capacities of every battery/UPS it knows about. We could integrate this
into battstat (I've always wanted a detailed view).

Notification icons may be useful for the notification that your
non-laptop battery is dying (eg. Logitech mouse). G-P-M could possibly
hand out those notifications as libnotify bubbles, leaving battstat to
display its obnoxious "Your laptop is flat" dialog.

For bonus points, G-P-M could only choose not to do these things when it
discovers battstat isn't running (either by querying Bonobo, or adding a
D-BUS interface to battstat).

Battstat should have a "Configure Power Management" menu item that fires
up the G-P-M capplet. It would also be nice to have that detailed
batteries view. It would probably be best to implement this inside
battstat, but have it get extra information from G-P-M if it is running
(this will leave it possible to still use battstat on non-GPM/HAL
enabled systems, which will be important for one or two more releases, I
posit).

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA