Re: control-center - some input for Common Plan

Cool,

I've been thinking about this after the summit and scratching heads with Darren Kenny and Calum Benson about the Control Center [my own head I hasten to add, not Darren's or Calum's ;) ].

Few thoughts to put into the pot when you are considering your common plan on this:

1. Categorization: Preferences revisited has already done some work on trying to consolidate and categorize things more sensibly than they have been: http://live.gnome.org/PreferencesRevisited

We took at look at these suggestions, looked at Max OSX, MS Vista, NLD and Fedora Core [menu layout equiv] and have just rolled a spreadsheet that try's to capture what I think is a reasonable first stab at a sensible categorization [attached in Calc format]. Will post it up to http://live.gnome.org/PreferencesRevisited as well.

2. Control Center Applet UI: Would be great once we have broad agreement on Categories to come up with a consistent UI to present this info to the user. So going to set one thing doesn't look dramatically different to any other Control Center applet. Should be possible for property based stuff as least, going into Screen layout stuff gets a lot more challenging, but little steps ...

3. Front End: my understanding of the current control center applets are that they have a front end and back end architecture communicating via XML. Would be great if we could support Python based front ends as well.

4. Extensible: idea of having Python is to make this really easy for others to add their own Control Center applets to extend the functionality as they see fit for their various distros and platforms. If you need to write a back end that's OS specific then off you go as they say.

JR

Jody Goldberg wrote:

During the summit a few people have come forward to accept the
mantle of control-center maintenance.  They're all long time
contributors and I'd like to welcome them to maintainer-ness and
thank them for taking on this crufty module.

All Hail
   <Angelic chorus>
	Rodrigo Moya
Christopher James Lahey Rodney Dawes