do we really need xrdb?

Hi

One of the best improvements we've seen while working on speeding up the
GNOME startup time has been the removal of the xsettings thing, via xrdb
-merge execution.

Ben Kahn came up with a list of apps that still need this:

acroread 5
Emacs
Anything written in Tk (aMSN, crossover office, much corporate custom
software)
Anything written in Motif (slowly being replaced, but still a lot of
software)
Anything written in XForms (oddly, a lot of scientific software...)
Apps that ship with the X server: xterm, xedit, xclock, etc.

Anything else?

So, do we really want to keep around the xrdb thing in
gnome-settings-daemon?
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>