Re: MOTD implementation in gnome-session

On Maw, 2005-10-04 at 18:32 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> some admins put sensible info on /etc/moptd, so we might not want to
> show it to anyone getting to the login screen. For that, /etc/issue
> might be better suited, although that is of no use for most users.

/etc/motd and /etc/iissue are generally ASCII (all locales are fed it as
is in text mode). Although its unusual I find myself agreeing with Jeff
that something more would be better. Perhaps gdm actually needs to
support a configuration option for motd file path and for motd file type
(8bit charset, utf-8, html, pdf ?) ?

It can use ascii /etc/motd by default but then doesn't have to