Re: MOTD implementation in gnome-session

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 16:26:16 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> can't the notification daemon use scrolling when the messages are too big?

Well, it could, but you have to keep the use cases for libnotify in mind:
short, asynchronous notifications where it doesn't really matter if the
user misses them.

eg:

- "Manya has come online"
- "Battery is low"
- "You've got mail"

It's not meant for:

- Informing the user of something they just initiated (I'm looking at you
  Robert ;)
- Displaying user-critical information, which I'd rate MOTD as
- Displaying arbitrary widgets. A scrollbar or some auto-scroll inside a
  notification would make them too complex in my view, and besides why
  bother when putting a text view or better a GtkMozEmbed inside a GTK+
  window is so easy?

thanks -mike