Emblem Positioning

Does anyone know why some icon themes (gorilla for example) place
emblems in the lower left corner of an icon, and why most other icon
themes place emblems in the upper right corner? I'm not entirely sure
this is icon theme dictated, but it clearly does vary depending on the
theme selected.

Personally I find the lower left position to be better, as it produced
results more similar to the design of actual icons. I think emblems
are one of the best features of nautilus, and one that is
underutilized.

In fact, might it be advantageous in the future to display generic
icons based on mimetype with automatic application of emblems to
display more specific information about a given file? I can think of
situations where having an automatically applied/dynamic emblem might
be of particular use, displaying a simple graph of free space on hard
disks, or usb drives, album covers on music files, etc.