Re: High Contrast Icons

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 15:47 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 13:48 -0600, Shaun McCance wrote:
> > Back on topic: Real applications in the wild are absolutely
> > going to need to install some application-specific icons
> > for various actions or data that are unique to those apps.
> > Even if a sizable percentage of those icons are things we
> > could manage to abstract into generic icons, third-party
> > developers aren't going to wait around for new releases
> > just so their applications can function.  It's great that
> > we've finally managed to make progress on standard icon
> > naming, and I applaud everybody who's been involved with
> > that effort.  But it's important we have a recommendation
> > for random application-specific icon names.
>
> Then real applications shouuld install those icons into a private
> data directory. There's no point in installing them into the theme
> if other applications don't need them. We are trying to create a
> very large list of icon names that should be used for specific purposes.
> We are also trying to deprecate some icons, so that we can reduce the
> number of icons in use throughout the desktop overall. The sheer number
> of icons we have already, is quite overwhelming to both the user, and to
> theme developers and artists.

But that only avoids conflicts when the icon isn't overridden by
an icon theme.  The original point of the thread is that we should
be providing HighContrast and HighContrastInverse icons whenever
we provide hicolor icons.  I can put Yelp's application-specific
icons in DATADIR/yelp/icons, but that only provides my fallback
icons.  What's Yelp to do about the a11y versions?

I suppose I could put in a one-off check if the user's icon theme
is HighContrast and HighContrastInverse and adjust the icon search
path in Yelp accordingly (like, say, DATADIR/yelp/hcicons).  But,
you know, ewww.

--
Shaun