Re: High Contrast Icons

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 20:47 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 13:42 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 22:40 +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:
> >
> > > If an application calls itself "accessible", having high contrast icons
> > > should be one of the requirements. Applications are allowed to install
> > > icons into the hicolor theme; if we're really taking accessibility
> > > seriously, then high contrast themes should have a similar status to
> > > hicolor.
> >
> > How do we keep applications from overwriting each other's icons?
>
> Don't name your application the same as another application, and
> namespace your icons appropriately? :) There is not really any good
> answer to this I guess. The same problem has existed with hicolor for
> as long as the Icon Theme Spec has been around. Applications should
> ONLY be installing their APPLICATION icon to hicolor or high-contrast
> though. Action, status, and other icons, should be part of the theme
> for now. We really need to design a good method for doing fallback
> themes and paths. The current API, in GTK+ at least, is not all that
> great for doing it.

Then what's an application to do when it needs additional
icons?  Yelp currently installs 10 images for admonitions
and watermarks that can be themed.  And I intend to add
more, whenever I get around to it.  All of the filenames
start with the yelp- prefix, so they're relatively safe.
But unless there's a good recommendation on how to name
such things, problems are going to arise.

Note that Yelp currently doesn't install these into hicolor.
Instead, it puts them into $(datadir)/yelp/icons and calls
gtk_icon_theme_append_search_path.  And while that's fine
for avoiding conflicts in hicolor, it doesn't help us when
themes need to override the defaults, as our a11y themes
certainly would want to.

--
Shaun