Re: Proposing gobby?

2005/11/18, Scott J. Harmon <harmon ksu edu>:

> Mike Hearn wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:42:34 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> >
> >>By including gobby into the desktop, we now have an ordinary editor and a
> >>collaborative editor. This will only serve to highlight a lack of
> >>integration and people would only ask why we couldn't have an 'Edit
> >>Together' button in the text editor.
> >

> > Given that these are both programmers text editors, why are either of them
> > up for inclusion? How many of GNOMEs users are programmers? Wouldn't
> > swapping out GEdit for AbiWord make more sense?
>
> Please no! :)  I use gedit for things besides programming tasks.  I
> would rather compare gedit with something like vi (or gvim), since gedit
> it a text editor _not_ a word processor.

Besides, if simply hilighting structured text in an editor (for
readability) earns the title of "programmers editor", I will be
browsing the web with my "programmers web browser".

(AFAIK gedit hasn't got programming-oriented features that wouldn't be
useful in other contexts too)

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi