Re: Enable accessibility by default in development releases?

Elijah Newren wrote:
It may also drive users
mad from the constant slow keys and sticky keys dialogs that appear. (I know it shouldn't seem like common operations to press shift 5
times in a row or hold it down for over 8 seconds but I seem to
periodically do one or the other without thinking about it,
particularly the latter fairly often)

This is actually a separate setting. Keyboard accessibility features are
different from the general "assistive technology support". There's
probably not a huge reason to enable the former by default.
There's a bug in the way this capplet is implemented (which I've been asking to get fixed for ages, but it requires a GUI change) - the 'enable keyboard accessibility' checkbox should NOT turn on and off keyboard accessibility, but only the above "StickyKeys" and "SlowKeys" shortcuts.

Also, Elijah has pointed out that there seems to be a bug in the dialogs that may cause two to be posted in some circumstances. It doesn't happen to me, so I don't really understand that bug, but I suspect the annoyance factor could be reduced with some re-crafting of the dialogs.
I've been using GNOME with accessibility enabled since at least March
for dogtail development, and the only application with issues since then
has been evolution - every message in the message list was exposed,
full-text, making it sloooow - but this may have been fixed by now.
Cool, great to hear this. Sounds like yet another reason for including pyorbit in the bindings :-)

Bill

Zack