Re: Enable accessibility by default in development releases?

On 11/11/05, Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 12:18 -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:
>
> > It was done before I got involved with Metacity.  You'd have to ask
> > Bill, Havoc, or Rob, or maybe all three and hope that they all
> > remember enough pieces to get the whole answer.  I don't use
> > reduced_resources (except when trying to duplicate bugs and fix some
> > of them) and I don't use accessibility (with similar rare
> > exceptions...), so I really don't know.
>
> So...
>
> - What does reduced_resources do?

Basically, (1) wireframe mode for moves/resizes instead of opaque
windows, and (2) no minimization animation.  (In other words, "crack"
as Havoc would say)

> - Does it really reduce resource consumption?  Of which resources?

Yes, applications don't need to repaint themselves until the
move/resize operation is over in the case of the wireframe
move/resize, and they don't need to worry about repainting themselves
at all when the ugly minimization animation puts black lines over it.

Note that I'm of the opinion that this accessibility vs. reduced
resources stuff is by no means important enough for keeping
accessibility turned off by default.  If it were one of dozens of
similar issues then it might be worth considering.  It's just that I'm
only familiar with metacity (well, and libwnck), so I thought I'd
point it out.  So far, it doesn't seem like others have pointed out
any similar issues, plus having someone turn off accessibility is
*really simple*, so I'm currently in favor of the
accessibility-on-by-default proposal.

Cheers,
Elijah