Re: Three Point Zero - Idea Mockups

I think for us to jump "product generations" the branch/fork approach is
probably required and you really need a structural change in "what the
product _is_" to justify it.

Another way to look at this which I haven't even seen considered is,
"What do we need to do to create a really exciting, useful, and usable
desktop environment that people love to use?"

Exactly. You need to set goals of what you want to achieve in the "next-gen" Gnome. After you've set goals, it is much easier to define and identify (and if nescesary, create) the tools needed to achieve these goals.

If the goal is to create "a really exciting, useful, and usable desktop environment that people love to use", then you must first investigate what a desktop env. *needs* in order to become "a really exciting, useful, and usable desktop environment that people love to use". Then, you have a set of goals.

Once those goals are defined, one can discuss the tools, the means to achieve these goals. If one of those is a siginifacnt structural change, then so be it.

How can you create tools for a job if you don't know the job?

Thom Holwerda

---

Main news posting guy at http://www.expert-zone.com, bringing you the OS/Computer news that really matters

---