Re: some thoughts about contributing to gnome

Hi Elijah,

On Tue, 10 May 2005 13:13:08 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is the right place for this (some could go to
I wasn't sure either but I thought this was the best place,...

>> But no, contributing is not fun anymore.

> You state this and give a whole bunch of reasons, but those reasons
> seem to be examples of things have not really changed, at least as far
> as I know.  So, did you change yourself and just decide you didn't
> like it anymore, or did you actually find things to be different in
> the past?  (It could be the latter since I'm relatively new, but I
> don't think things have changed much during the time I have been
> around)

I don't have an objective answer. But as far as I remember, in the
past there were more "activity" on bugzilla. Especially the times
between a bug entered and it was confirmed or even a discussion about
the bug was started, was much shorter. I can't prove this - only a
very crude SQL statement for the bugzilla database could answer this
question. ;-)

Additionally I think that trivial patches for trivial bugs were much
faster accepted. I can't remember that in the past bugs were completly
ignored for months.

>> d) There is only very few documentation about debugging gnome:
>>
>> How do I strace/gdb/ltrace/valgrind an application/an applet/a bonobo
>> component/a plugin?

> I cover strace, gdb, and valgrind at
> http://www.gnome.org/~newren/tutorials/developing-with-gnome/html/ch03.html
> http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnome-applets/HACKING?view=markup,