Re: roadmap status update/update request

It'd be cool if we could have a "powered by" logo that distros could
include in marketing material, splash screens, documentation etc.  Of
course, we have no way to make it mandatory, but GNOME as a brand has
suffered greatly by the whitewashing practiced by distributions, most
notably the "Java Desktop Environment" (I mean, honestly, what the hell
is that?), but Red Hat's desktop is also a major offender.  Perhaps if
we asked nicely.

The thing I would also like very much to see if a standard "foot" menu
used by the distros.  Turning it into a hat is a major usability problem
for people moving from gnome installation to gnome installation.

The GPL gives anyone to right to remove the gnome branding of course,
but it still annoys me very much when companies take a free software
project, rebrand it, then ship it.  Often the only trace of the original
brand is hidden in about dialogs, and sometimes not even then.  Changing
the splashscreen is one thing (though including a gnome logo in distro
splashscreens isn't a lot to ask), but changing the foot menu is just
wrong.

Anyway, I've degraded to ranting now.  Time to stop.

-Rob