Re: Some thoughts about window management

> >>1. The context menu for tasks in the taskbar is not very helpful. Most
> >>of the functions it offers are rarely used (rollup, anyone?),

me :)

[...]
> I agree on getting rid of the "Roll Up" item, though. The use case for
> rolling up is to temporarily get a window out of the way so you can see
> what's behind it. If you're near the window list, minimizing and
> restoring does the same thing, much more quickly, so there's no point in
> having Roll Up in the menu.

No, it does not do the same thing. There are windows that just cannot be
minimized. Roll up works nonetheless, though.

Want an example? The Evolution Preferences occupies a pretty large part
of the screen and is on top of the Evolution main window always. I end
up rolling up the Preferences pretty often while hunting down bugs or
replying to yet another mailing list post, cause I need to access the
main window. [1] Roll Up is set as the action for double clicking the
title bar here, which metacity offers.

As long as this won't go away, I don't care about a Roll Up menu item in
the WM menu. (Which is not available here anyway...)

...guenther

[1] Just happened while writing this note. While typing "Preferences" I
    spotted the title still claims to be "Settings". So I rolled up the
    Preferences to have a look at the actual menu item again...