Re: Patch Pending: Tray icon does not account for icon transparency mask

Dnia 11-06-2005, sob o godzinie 18:36 +0300, Ilya Konstantinov
napisał(a):
> Hi,
>
> (Regarding bug 150726)
>
> Some half a year ago, I've spent a good day or two researching the
> behavior of the GNOME and KDE desktop environments when it comes to
> notification icons (tray icons) with transparent areas. Eventually, I've
> written a detailed bug about it and submitted a patch to the libegg
> trayicon code.
>
> Since then, I was using this patch in my own code (the mozTrayBiff
> project -- http://moztraybiff.mozdev.org -- provides a notification icon
> upon new mail) quite successfuly and none of my users had any problems
> with it.
>
> So why wasn't my work merged into libegg? Only because nobody spent the
> time to understand the issue like I did? That's understandable, but why
> is the maintainer leaving me feeling as if my work was a waste?
>
> Could anyone please look at my patch and comment on it / check it in?

That would be easier if you provided a direct link to the bugzilla
bug :), not just the number. The reason is probably that bugzilla is
effectively unusable for developers. It has far too many bugs for them
to handle. They'd spend all their time managing bugzilla bugs and would
have no time for programming. That is a very unfortunate situation. The
best you can probably do is to bring that issue up on a list that is
more focused on eel than d-d-l. (I don't know which list that is). Try
not to be offended by noone looking at your patch. There are too little
people in the bug squad, no bugzilla bugs just go pretty much unnoticed.

People always said, "put it in bugzilla, so it doesn't get lost", but
today the rather sad truth is that, often, if you do put it only in
bugzilla, then there's a very little chance of someone looking at it.

--
Markus Bertheau <twanger bluetwanger de>