Re: gtk performance testing [was Re: GNOME 2.11/2.12 targeting GTK+ 2.8 (ie cairo based)]

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 15:12 +0200, Jeroen Zwartepoorte wrote:
> Since everybody is talking about how glitz will eventually speedup
> drawing operations by using hardware accelerated OpenGL, i built it
> and then rebuilt cairo so cairo will detect glitz and compile with
> support for it.
>
> How does glitz further integrate into the desktop stack? Can i make
> gtk+ use glitz for drawing widgets? If so, how?

The way glitz integrates in is on the server side:

 GTK+ => Cairo --- <RENDER> ---> X server => glitz => OpenGL

This will give the same basic performance benefits as having Cairo
use glitz directly, but with many less complications. Currently,
we don't foresee having GTK+ render via glitz as a very interesting
way to go for the desktop.

Note that the performance slowdowns people have been seeing for
GtkTextView likely have not much to do with rendering and everything
to do with text measurement.

Regards,
						Owen