Re: GNOME 2.11/2.12 targeting GTK+ 2.8 (ie cairo based)

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 12:22 -0400, Morten Welinder wrote:
> > - The benefit of having cool new rendering stuff in GNOME 2.12
>
> Being cool never got any work done.
>
> > - The benefit of getting all this stuff tested early (i.e. before
> >   GTK+ 2.8 is released, rather than after)
>
> We are talking a serious amount of new code that I have not tested,
> let alone run through Purify.  Here's a prediction: it is not going
> to be pretty.

  It has not been tested it was too soon to test.  Why are people so
afraid of gtk+ 2.7 without even trying it?  It really is quite stable
now.

> > - The extra incentive for people to help with getting the rendering
> >   stuff optimized
>
> I read that as "performance stinks unbelievably, but don't worry -- if
> we bother enough people surely someone will send us a hacky patch".
>
> The resident grouch's summary: there are NO BENEFITS that helps any
> user get any work done.  There's a lot of fluff, though.

  Since when does gtk+ help users?  With the exception of the occasional
file selector keyboard navigation improvements, gtk+ doesn't directly
affect users, it provides tools for developers.

  And Cairo does help developers significantly.  Anyone doing any kind
of drawing and printing will know what I mean.  Like, imagine how
abiword/gnumeric/criawips would benefit from this.  Gnome Print is not
an option for most of these programs simply because it's a "Gnome
library" thus "not cross platform" or "needs gnome".  There's a great
bias against gnome libraries nowadays, unfortunately...

  And even if it is slower now, it potencially may become much faster
than current X11 drawing model, perhaps even when gtk+ 2.8 gets
released.  Please stop gtk/cairo FUD.

  Best regards.