GNOME 2.11/2.12 targeting GTK+ 2.8 (ie cairo based)

Hi all,

I only discovered this morning by looking at James commit for jhbuild
that GNOME 2.11/2.12 is supposed to ship with GTK+ 2.8 (and therefore
Cairo) which might not have been obvious for anybody reading
http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap (since there is only a reference to cairo
used to replace libgnomecanvas/libart). And I'm not sure all GNOME
hackers have realized we are supposed to switch to GTK+ 2.8/Cairo.

Since I'm kind of conservative and pessimist guy (working for a vendor
and being a release team member probably doesn't help for that :), I'm a
little worried that we base our next stable of GNOME on a yet to be
released version of GTK+ which is supposed to change a lot of things
internally for GTK+, which might also impact GNOME software.

Could GTK+ hackers give us a status of GTK+ 2.8, compared to their plans
from  http://gtk.org/plan/2.8/ ?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to undermine GTK+ hackers works, but I
feel we should clarify the situation for everybody best interest.
--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandriva com>
Mandriva