Re: Detecting GNOME

Hello!

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Zoran Rilak wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 21:22 +0200, Tomasz Melcer wrote:
> >   Is there a simple way to check if GNOME manages an X display? I have
> [...]
> >   The app is written in python. Actually I only want to run GNOME
> > browser/mailer if user runs GNOME and predefined apps if he doesn't.
>
> I've seen several debates on how to detect GNOME or its version, but I
> don't remember seeing any conclusive answer.  For what you need, though,
> I believe a good approach would be to check if the user has a gconfd
> running (not much of GNOME would be usable otherwise), and if so, see if
> there's a /desktop/gnome/applications/browser key present.  I'd expect
> this to be effective in must, if not all, cases.
Okay, but what if my app is executed on different computer with DISPLAY
environment variable set? What if the computer runs both GNOME and
non-GNOME environment on different DISPLAYs? I know that are rare cases,
but I want to do that the right way. I asked, because I earlier thought
of detecting GNOME by looking into process list for gnome-session.

Thanks for answer,

Tomasz Melcer