Re: Certification for GNOME apps

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Jonathan Blandford wrote:

> Behdad Esfahbod <behdad cs toronto edu> writes:

> > > I guess the extreme example might be "What do you do if someone comes to
> > > you with a HIG compliant, gtk+ using, accessible, i18n translated 'Bomb
> > > the New York Subway' game" [hello MI5]
> > >
> > > There are things you want a reason never to be associated with.
> >
> > Or one day we may want to refuse certification from companies
> > that support the other operating system :D.
> >
> > Is the foundation going to certify apps or are companies allowed
> > to evaluate and certify their own apps?  If the former, should
> > there be any fee for getting GNOME certified?
>
> To make it more clear, the intention is to make this a
> self-certification system.  We (GNOME) don't really want to get into the
> business of certifying at the moment, and we should make it clear that
> the products are certified aren't inherently endorsed by GNOME at all.

Then I don't see how Alan's point can be applied.  Someone with a
Bomb... game should be free to label "GNOME certified" if it
happens to satisfy the technical aspects.  And it should be clear
that it's a self-certificate.  Maybe it should not be called a
certificate after all.  "GNOME Friendly" may be a better term.

> Thanks,
> -Jonathan

--behdad
http://behdad.org/