Re: Remove "AccessX" from strings of Keyboard Accessibilty capplet

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 14:49 +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:

> >Is now a good time to drop "AccessX" from the strings?
> >

> No please.  Also, old-time Windows users may remember this as 'Access DOS'.
>
> The feature is still widely referred to in the accessibility community
> as 'Access X', so I see a real downside in removing it, and little benefit.

I have to confess I find that slightly surprising... aren't the vast
majority of the accessibility community using Windows and (to a lesser
extent) Macs these days, both of which provide the same features but
neither of which have ever visibly used the term 'Access X' AFAIK?
Their users manage to find the features they need regardless, presumably
by dint of their using the standard terminology for the individual
features (Sticky Keys, Slow Keys, Mouse Keys etc.), just as we do.

(FWIW, a search of the gnome-accessibility-list archives suggests that
none of the users who are subscribed there have ever referred to
'AccessX' or 'Access X' in any posts, either... the only messages that
seem to mention it are from developers.)

On the other hand, its inclusion where it is today was always a
compromise, and I doubt it's really hurting anyone, even though we
otherwise discourage the use of geeky terms in the UI (however popular
they are among any given section of our user base).

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group