Re: Gnome Session Services Framework

Hi Bill,
	Thanks, this sounds fairly straightforward.

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 14:24 +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:
> Hi Mark:
>
> Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I was thinking about when the ATs are
> started.  On thinking further I realize that my memory of AT startup
> order issues has become fuzzy, so I am probably forgetting some
> things.    Here's what I recall:
>
> 1) g-s-d needs to have been started before any applications (including
> the panel, nautilus, etc.); this is probably true generally of gnome and
> so isn't relevant to the Session Services discussion.

	I don't think its true that g-s-d absolutely has to be started before
all other apps - applications should be able to react to most, if not
all, changes g-s-d makes, I think - but we certainly would prefer if
apps didn't map a window before g-s-d set the gtk+ theme Xsetting, for
example.

	So, its not as simple as "don't start any apps until g-s-d has applied
all its settings", since there's a lot these apps could be doing before
they need g-s-d to have applied its settings.

> Similarly
> bonobo-activation needs to be working on first query.

	The first app which makes a query launches b-a-s, so there's no
implications here, I think.

> 2) gnome-session's own environment needs to include any
> accessibility-specific env settings such as GNOME_DISABLE_CRASH_DIALOG=1
> and GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge (the latter for GTK-only apps that need
> to be accessible).  Again, probably not affected by the Session Services
> proposal.

	And, indeed, I think D-BUS needs to have these env variables. If any
app is launched using D-BUS activation, those apps need to have those
env variables too.

> 3) Performance is much better if ATs are started last, because otherwise
> they have to process a stream of events that are mostly just a result of
> 'constructing' the desktop services and apps.

	Right, that sounds sensible.

Cheers,
Mark.