Re: Integrated CD ripping/playing (instead of goobox/sound juicer)

Op ma, 17-01-2005 te 18:11 +0000, schreef Alan Horkan:

> > > That is an ugly implementation detail and horrible when it comes to
> > > discovery but I wouldn't completely reject the underlying concept,
> > > I think the pricipal of it isn't that bad.
>
> > > What is Nautilus going to show when you view an Audio CD?
> > > Presumably a list of .cda files which isn't very useful.
> > >
> > > I recall reading that on BeOS if you tried to copy a .cda file it would
> > > transparently give you a WAV file.
> > >
> > > Rather than creating yet another evil URI I would hope that there could be
> > > some way this could be handled almost transparently so that to the user it
> > > appears as if they are copying files directly off the Audio CD much as
> > > they would do any other file off any other medium?  Wouldn't being able to
> > > drag and drop a file from the CD to your desktop be the easiest way to go?
> > > (This wouldn't preclude a tool like Sound Juicer for ripping whole disks
> > > en masse and streamling the whole process anymore than Browser mode
> > > Nautilus precludes Spatial Nautilus.)
>
> > That's just what I try to say :D, no new URI, just open the CD like a
> > data CD and drag the files to rip 'm (what the user sees/thinks)
>
> I was agreeing with you
I was just making sure everyone knows that's the same of what I said in my first email :D
> > > I dont understand this urge to kill off gnome-cd.  I actually quite like
> > > the basic layout (does one thing well) and find programs like Rythmbox a
> > > bit cluttered when I just want to play a CD.  I do have the CD case
> > > infront of me which usually has the information I need but dont always
> > > have an active internet connection and want or need detailed infromation
> > > about the CD.  To be honest I probably use the CD player only because I
> > > want slightly more functionality that is available from the hardware CD
> > > player built in to the drive itself.
> > >
> > > By all means add Sound Juicer or some other CD ripping functionality but I
> > > don't get why it necessitates killing off the straighforward CD Player
> > > that plays CDs.
>
> > It would be stupid to have 2 apps that only are there to play cd's.
>
> If you view ripping and playing as the same tasks and can cleanly put them
> in the one interface that might be true.
Yeah, I mean there could be one CD-playing application with ripping
posibilities :D.
> On the other hand we have people who would seem to be happy with a singel
> all in one media player which frankly I would find clunky and inelegant.
I get it, though I think it should be there.  Totem is great for that,
and it I think totem should be able to play everything you throw at it.
But there should also be specific apps like one for cd playing/ripping,
one for TV ...

friendly greeting,

Karel Demeyer
http://gnometux.blogspot.com !