Re: Proposed Modules, My Take

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 00:34:00 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> Abstaining. Does anything support these yet? I am waiting upon the
> technology, I want it bad. If anything in Desktop can be compiled to
> support it, then let's turn it on. Otherwise, let's turn it on for G12.

Not really. Christian and I worked a lot on this until our free time
dropped off a cliff. The remaining work is documented in the code, and
these tasks must also be done:

- Update protocol/API to the latest DBUS spec
- Produce website with libnotify API docs
- Test the server code a lot to make sure it's rock solid
- The server is missing a few features it'd need to fully implement the
  notification spec
- Do regular releases

We were originally under the impression that it'd be OK for us to scale
back because some Novell/Red Hat employees expressed an interest on
hacking it, but that didn't turn into anything.

Christian and I both run our own open source projects (Galago and
autopackage, respectively) and both have jobs hacking on Linux software so
we get a bit squeezed, but both autopackage and Galago are coming up to
the big One Dot Oh releases soon. I'm hoping after that happens we'll be
able to take a break from them and nail this in time for GNOME 2.12

Yes, it should have been 2.10, yes it should be dropped from the
release schedule, yes we suck. Bear with us ;)

thanks -mike