Re: Proposed Modules, My Take

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 08:40:39AM +0100, Amaury Jacquot wrote:
> Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >So I have an alternate proposal for 2.10: just take out esound.
> good call
> my take here is that there's no real point in using a sound-server
> anymore, unless you use some hackish setup with remote workstation & sound.
> may I remind people that esound was included so that multiple
> application could use the sound device at the same time, function which
> is now done directly by Alsa, with it's software mixing functionnalities.
> As such, we don't need those network enabled things anymore.

please understand that dmix does not work. period.
maybe it's bad design, or simply buggy code, but it does not work.
and it's like that for a looong time..

maybe it's good enough to play 2 mp3 files at the same time, but the
multimedia needs does not end there.

if you can watch 2 video files at the same time (for example with
totem), with PERFECT audio/video sync, then it works.

so currently the ONLY way to have software mixing is to use a sound

i'm not saying that polypaudio should be included in gnome.

i'm just tired of this 'software mixing is not a problem. dmix works'
argument. which is not true.