Re: More desktop security thoughts (was Re: GNOME privilege library)

From: Mike Hearn <mike navi cx>

> If we ignore the command line then the UI should not expose ways of
> utterly trashing the system. Period. End of story.

I agree that should be the goal.

However, I could envision a scenario, without too much effort, where it
probably would happen if they can perform any general action.

One of my kids is told "oh, you should play this new game (new music
composition software, new web editor, ... whatever)."

They ask the friend how.  They are told "just download this rpm and
install it.".   They do so.  They install it.  Alas, the app has
dependencies that install new, not yet working dynamic libraries or
older, buggy libraries, or require patches to a kernel that result
in a variety of buggy behaviors...
--
Tcl - The glue of a new generation.  <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ >
Larry W. Virden <mailto:lvirden cas org> <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>