Re: GNOME privilege library

On Iau, 2005-01-13 at 20:25, Colin Walters wrote:
> The approach we've been taking in Fedora is that the user is just not
> prompted for authentication.  For example, NetworkManager doesn't force
> you to enter the root password to switch wireless networks.  Nor does
> HAL force you to enter the root password to access your USB key.  As
> Havoc mentioned earlier, I think this is generally the right approach.

A large number of people are unhappy with it too. It makes bad mistakes
in some environments but I'd agree that is fixed by actually having a
tool which lets the installer/admin actually say "this is a locked down
system", "this is a secure server", "this is my PC" phrased in end user
happy understandable text with pretty icons.

Alan