Re: Freezes and order of things

On Thu, 13.01.05 17:15, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller (uraeus gnome org) wrote:

> One thing that struck me today is that we have a proposal for polypaudio
> to replace esound. This change will necessarily demand some hacking on
> core modules to make it happen. Yet the decision on wether to do the
> replacement is being taken after the freeze. In my opinion this means
> a) the decision should be taken ASAP
> b) in the future we probably want the release team to make their
> decisions before the feature freeze  :)

Apropos, a quick update on polypaudio:

The last released version (0.7) seems to be very stable, as I only got
very few bug reports. (or only very few people actually use
it - which I don't believe). There are still no packages in Debian
(the ITP is sitting in the BTS for more than two month now.), so I am
still missing the really large testing audience...

I am currently working on polypaudio 0.8. The changes are far from
trivial. I am adding per-channel volume changing, hardware volume
changing, channel mapping (i.e surround sound support based on
gstreamer's work) and absolute seeks in the playback stream. These
changes make polypaudio 0.8 incompatible with 0.7. I am probably
unable to get 0.8 into shape for a release with gnome 2.10.

Therefore I'd suggest going with 0.7 for gnome 2.10 - in case the Gnome
release team decides in favor of polypaudio.

Lennart

--
name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }