Re: [Usability] [RFC] Announcing: Control-Center-GUI 0.1

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 04:07:09AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Jody Goldberg">
>
> > 2.10 will include an updated variant of the old ximian OSX style flat
> > layout.
>
> I noticed that was changing, but it looks a bit... Wacky in the current
> tarball release. ;-)

Fixed in CVS.
The default layout with it's asymetric collections triggered a bug
we had not noticed in the old ximian code.

> > It does look ideal with the default arrangement of .desktop files.   Jeff,
oops            ^ _NOT_
> > Chrisian raises some reasonable points with his tab based design.  The OSX
> > style layout flounders badly when the number of capplets grows larger than
> > about 4 x 5.  Enforcing that limit requires a white-list or you end up
> > with windows style random capplet additions with every new application.  A
> > promising solution for the remainder is an 'Other' tab.
>
> OS X has an 'Other' category, designed to fit the screen height, which works
> reasonably well:

Other tends to grow into a large set when left unchecked, and we end
up with a vertical scrollbar.  I tend to prefer tabs to scrollbars.