Re: [Usability] [RFC] Announcing: Control-Center-GUI 0.1

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 03:42:49AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Christian Neumair">
>
> > It is a little app which is meant to eventually replace the preferences
> > menu.
>
> > http://manny.cluecoder.org/packages/control-center-gui/screenshot-0.1.png
>
> So, I don't agree with your starting point (tabs hiding things, rather than
> OS X flat-panel categories style which may be better), but I strongly and
> enthusiastically encourage you to continue experimenting with new ideas for
> the control-center interface! Very rocking.
>
> [ Keep in mind that we should also be violently redesigning the contents and
> categories of the preference dialogues too [1]. But that's a design before
> coding project! :-) ]

2.10 will include an updated variant of the old ximian OSX style
flat layout.  It does look ideal with the default arrangement of
.desktop files.   Jeff, Chrisian raises some reasonable points with
his tab based design.  The OSX style layout flounders badly when the
number of capplets grows larger than about 4 x 5.  Enforcing that
limit requires a white-list or you end up with windows style random
capplet additions with every new application.  A promising solution
for the remainder is an 'Other' tab.