Alignment of multiple top-level windows

Hi,
How can i enforce the relative arrangement of multiple top-level
X windows in an ICCCM compliant way? I want this arrangement of
three windows on startup:

|                      Menubar                       |
+-----+ +--------------------------------------------+
|     | |                                            |
|  P  | |                                            |
|  a  | |                                            |
|  n  | |           Work area                        |
|  e  | |                                            |