Re: [Fwd: Nautilus]

Shaun McCance wrote:
> All right, I'll bite.

There is nothing to bite, really :) .

  I'm an audiophile and a music
> addict.  I buy tons of music nobody's even heard of.
> I record concerts.  My ~/Music folder has roughly
> 8000 oggs and flacs, totalling about 120 GB.
>
> I never used Mac or Amiga much.  I used Windows long
> ago, back in the mid-90s.  Then a professor showed
> me GNU/Linux, and I never looked back.
>
> I'm a programmer.  For my programming tasks, I don't
> touch the file manager.  Not because the file manager
> isn't useful, but because I don't use many other GUI
> tools.  I'm just going to call emacs and make anyway,
> so I might as well be at a shell.
>
> Outside of programming, I'm very big on dogfooding.
> So I use GUI tools pretty much exclusively, except
> on the off occasion where automating something with
> a shell script would save me hours.  It's not some
> masochistic endeavor either.  I generally prefer
> using GUI applications.
>
> Now, with all that background on me, I'm telling
> you that I love spatial.  And I especially love it
> on my very large music collection.  Everything just
> feels natural.  I just always have a clear sense of
> where I am and what I'm doing.

No - first you have to know what you are doing while in spatial mode, then
you can make some use of it. So... you are a programmer, an audiophile and
you often use command line for programming purposes. How do you think, what
percentage of users fit's that image ?

> Do I have to manually set some folder positions and
> sizes?  Yeah.  And hey, if somebody put some code
> into Nautilus to do some heuristics on the initial
> folder size and position, that could be cool, if it
> worked well.

I don't mind.

> But I add maybe nine or ten folders a month.  Nine
> or ten times a month, I take five seconds out of
> my day to put a folder where I want it.  Just like
> nine or ten times a month, I spend five seconds
> finding the right place for a CD on my shelf.  And
> that five seconds makes my life simpler the rest
> of the time.

But who else want to make the same hassle ? While this mode may be
perfectly valid solution for you, it's hardly for anyone from outside the
programming-geek world. I understand that for some people this is perfect
solution, but others don't meet some requirements regarding folder
hierarchy or aren't willing to learn how to deal with poping up windows and
sacrifice time to manage their folders. I am not against spatial mode. I am
against making it default.

Regards.