Re: autotools gives autopain

<quote who="BJörn Lindqvist">

> Gnome currently uses the GNU Autotools for building all projects.
> Autotools is hard to work with and complicated and there are lots of
> techically superior build systems out there. Therefore, I suggest that
> GNOME should gradually replace Autotools with scons (www.scons.org).

I'd suggest that this would not be a very interesting topic of discussion on
this list *unless* you converted one of the existing GNOME modules to scons
and demonstrated its benefits to developers, distributors and users of GNOME
(who care about building it from revision control or tarballs). That'll be a
great starting point for a discussion, while arguing theoretical stuff won't
really get us anywhere. :-)

Thanks!

- Jeff (who has heard lots of nice things about scons from friends who use
  it all the time)

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

                   No match for "LINUSWEARSTHEPANTS.ORG".