Re: EOG features

My opinion:

- Keep the rotate button.

- Change menu item from "Rotate..." to "View rotated..." to prevent
  confusion.

- Never implement auto-save without prompt. Eog is a viewer, not editor,
  and overwriting of original image would be a bad surprise.

And optionally:

- If user rotates image, Save rotation state to a special place and use
  it for next open (preferably shared with other applications).

- Add menu item "Reset rotation"

Details and rationale:

Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
Op Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:59:06 +0100, schreef Manu Cornet:

> > 1) Either not have any rotate button at all, and indeed use the EXIF data
> > (but then what about older cameras, a lot of them don't have the
> > appropriate sensor, do they ?) to diplay the right orientation.
> >
> > 2) Either keep its rotating functions, but then prompt the user ("Do you
> > want to save changes ?") when he closes the window and be able to actually
> > save the picture.
>
> I agree to your points, but: why the prompt? Why not simply auto-save
> without prompting? In the case of an erroneous rotation, it is quickly
> undone and no data has been lost.

At least with my camera (Minolta DiMAGE A1), this operation irreparably
breaks EXIF MakerNote and destroys mid-size preview. It disallows to
view such image back in the camera and loses special image information.

For images, with size not dividable by 16, lossless rotation is
impossible.

Additionally, I have all original images write protected, but have to
rotate them to view, because EOG does not yet respect EXIF.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SuSE CR, s. r. o.                             e-mail: sbrabec suse cz
Drahobejlova 27                               tel: +420 296 542 382
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 296 542 374
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/