Re: Demanding API documentation

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 08:01 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi Murray,
> 	Firstly, I don't think we could even consider getting this draconian
> about interface documentation until all the *existing* interfaces are
> documented.

Yes, but I have the hope that, if we show that there's consensus about
the need for documentation in this case, then there will be strong
pressure to document the other stuff too. However, some of the older
stuff is genuinely difficult to document unless you are the original
author -for instance, GTK+ signals.

>  If a whole library was pretty much undocumented, it'd be
> bizarre to prevent the addition of one new function on the basis that
> that function isn't documented.
>
> 	Secondly, I don't believe that the release team becoming more draconian
> about a specific weakness is the best way to fix that weakness.

Sure, but
a) The release team do document and explain the expectations of our
various release sets.
b) Is there a better way?

--
Murray Cumming