Re: Revisiting the GNOME Panel in general...

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 15:24 +0800, James Henstridge wrote:

[snip]

> This is currently handled with the BonoboUI component code, so that
> those menu items invoke actions in the panel rather than the applet.
>
> One option is to treat these menu items as something that applets SHOULD
> provide rather than appear magically through the use of Bonobo (this
> might be the only option to make it possible to implement on other
> desktops).  A standard "applet widget" could make it easy to provide
> these features though.
>
> The move option can probably be implemented using the previously
> mentioned method.  Remove can be implemented by simply exiting or
> destroying the notification icon widget.  Handling lock down might be a
> bit more difficult though.

I'd also like to note that one of the nice features of MacOS X is the
fact that the little notification icons at least behave as though they
are integrated items in the top menubar. Perhaps the default widget
could be coaxed via an XSetting (e.g. "panel-notification-menu-active"
or something) to draw itself as a selected menuitem and fire the
widget's "popup-menu" signal when necessary?

--
Peace,

    Jim Cape
    http://esco.mine.nu
    http://ignore-your.tv

    "If even one reporter had stood up during a pre-Iraq Bush press
     conference last year and shouted, `Bullshit!' it might have made a
     difference."
        -- Matt Taibbi, New York Press